- Add together the number of the appropriate Skill and the number of the Attribute associated with that Skill. (e.g. Perception + Wits)
- Collect together the number of dice (all the same color). This is known as your dice pool. Roll them.
- Count the number of 1’s and 6’s you rolled. This is the number of successes you achieved. If any of the dice come up with a 6, you can roll them again, and if they come up 1 or 6, you can add them to your successes. Any more 6’s, roll and add again.
- One success means you managed the task, but only just. The more successes, the more successful you were and the easier you made it look. If you didn’t get any successes you failed at the task.
- Sometimes the GM will decide there are penalties to your roll due to other things going on around you. In that case he may tell you to roll a number of black dice with your normal dice. Any successes on these dice are subtracted from the successes on your normal dice, although black dice are not rerolled on a 6. If you end up with more successes on the black dice than on your normal dice this is known as a foul failure and means that things have gone horribly wrong.